The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Controller opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration; a master's is preferred
- Significant experience as plant controller or cost manager in manufacturing environments, including a demonstrated understanding of cost accounting, percentage of completion (POC) accounting, reporting and variance analysis
- Experience with cost center or profit center controlling; experience in R&D controlling would be ideal
- Excellent PC skills, including:
- Working knowledge of SAP or other major accounting systems
- Proficiency in MS Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- A team-player, customer-service oriented attitude when collaborating with internal customers and business
You'll also need to be willing and able to travel, sometimes internationally, about 10% of the time. You should expect to travel two to three times a year each to Primetals facilities in Cortland, OH and Alpharetta, GA, and to Linz, Austria once or twice a year.
Pictured: In today's economy it is no longer enough just to have the right technology. Primetals' Metallurgical Service helps companies optimize operations and cut costs at every step of the value-added production chain.
The RoleReporting to the Chief Financial Officer, you will lead a team of six finance and accounting resources in Worcester. This team supports two businesses:
- Long Rolling manufactures state-of-the-art mills for producing metal bars, rods, sections and rails (see the video). The majority of the equipment is exported. Much of the support you and your team will provide will involve POC accounting for multimillion dollar projects. This business has been in Worcester for longer than 100 years and is a respected member of the local community.
- Metallurgical Service supports steelmakers and other metal producers, domestically and internationally, with maintenance and repair services. This includes receiving and shipping parts as well as sending technicians to plants around the world. Part of the team is based in Worcester and the other part is in Cortland, OH.
- Financial oversight (budget development, tracking, hourly rate setting) of:
- Sales & Proposal
- Order Management
- Month end close activities
- Results analysis,
- Revenue/COS/Margin analysis
- Variance analysis
- SG&A analysis
- Journal entries
- Providing leadership for POC Project review meetings covering:
- Review of ETC
- Review of risks/Contingencies
- Review of claims
- Related month-end journal entries to projects
- Monthly operational review meetings
- Balance sheet review, cash flow
- Variance analysis and KPI metrics
- Annual budgeting, monthly and quarterly forecasting
- LOA and proposal review
- Claim management
- Maintaining and monitoring internal controls
- Supporting quarterly and year-end audits with external auditors
- Long-term strategic planning
- Managing and mentoring employees
More Good ReasonsStrategic impact
As the lead financial officer for these two business units, you will contribute to top-level decisions and influence future direction. We recently restructured this role, and you will help shape it moving forward.
Both Long Rolling and Metallurgical Service are complex businesses and you will stretch your skills and experience as you take on unique challenges. You'll also expand your international experience. Success here could set you up to pursue multiple career paths within Primetals Technologies.
The "best of both worlds"
You'll enjoy the entrepreneurial energy that goes along with a new venture, as well as the "DNA" of two industry giants. Primetals may be new, but we came into the world fully mature. Our company includes operations that have been in place for years. We offer more than 60 years of metallurgical, engineering and plant building experience, a worldwide sales organization and global engineering, and a strong emphasis on R&D that has led to the introduction of numerous innovations.
Win-win customer partnerships
Primetals Technologies is dedicated to creating sustainable value for its customers and society. This is accomplished on the basis of combined innovative power and extensive experience in metallurgical plant projects that are implemented in close cooperation with producers. We strive to achieve win-win results and to foster long-term partnerships with our customers.
Great environment, outstanding leadership
We have created a non-political culture that is collaborative and encourages independent thinking and innovation. People like working here, as demonstrated by the high number of long-tenured employees from both Mitsubishi and Siemens. Like our employees, you will find leadership to be a great group of nice, approachable people, with outstanding vision and business talents.
Full presence right here in America
Though we're a global company, unlike many of our competitors we have not moved all business all offshore. We have headquarters and full capabilities in North America. In fact, the CEO is looking to expand strengths across North America.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus opportunity, we offer a comprehensive slate of benefits that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; a professional health service consultant to help you get the most out of your benefits; a 401(k) plan with generous company match; flexible spending accounts; paid time off; and more.
Success FactorsWe understand that there will be a learning curve as you get to know these two business units. At the same time, we'll look to you to be proactive about learning quickly. The function is established and performing well, but once you are up to speed you should start looking for opportunities to improve efficiencies and enhance controls.
There will be plenty going on at any given time, including a steady stream of input from multiple sources. To excel in this role you will bring professional maturity as well as the ability to manage multiple activities and priorities effectively. In addition, in order to be an outstanding Controller, you will:
- Maintain open lines of communications with all stakeholders
- Position yourself as a consultant and partner to the VPs and global segment leads
- Stay abreast of emerging trends in our industry and in accounting & finance
- Help define and communicate the big picture, but also pay attention to details
- Combine analytical skills and creativity in solving problems
About UsCreating the Future of Metals AS ONE
In January 2015, Mitsubishi-Hitachi Metals Machinery and Siemens VAI Metals Technologies have joined forces to form a new company: Primetals Technologies®. By combining the complementary strengths of both partners, a globally operating enterprise with a world-class product portfolio has been established to provide excellence in metals production across the entire value chain -- from the raw materials to the finished product. This includes fully integrated technology, automation and environmental solutions, high-end manufacturing capability and comprehensive lifecycle services.
For our customers, this means that they can count on long-term, reliable and dedicated support to master the challenges facing the metals market today and in the future. By uniting as one, we are a leading, innovative, and future-oriented partner with a worldwide presence. Together, we meet the commitments of quality, sustainability and performance at every step along the production route. Welcome to the future of metals, today.
Primetals Technologies is a worldwide leading engineering, plant-building and lifecycle partner for the metals industry. The company offers a complete technology, product and service portfolio that includes integrated electrics, automation and environmental solutions. This covers every step of the iron and steel production chain that extends from the raw materials to the finished product -- in addition to the latest rolling solutions for the nonferrous metals sector.
On the basis of the experience acquired from the successful completion of thousands of projects for the metals industry, Primetals Technologies provides advanced and optimized solutions for integrated steelworks and minimills, for new and existing plants, and for all auxiliary facilities. Our integrated portfolio comprises mechanical equipment and mechatronic systems; drives, motors, automation, electrics and electronics; as well as utility supply and energy technologies.